Saturday, February 21, 2009

Day 1 - Home Sweet Home

After 259 days of roaming and loitering around, finally at home. Such a relief. Such a sweet feeling. Un-describable.

Left London last evening in a bit of a hurry. As usual, late packing and stuffing things into suitcases. Heathrow was at its usual best, with people overflowing everywhere. Reminded me of Love Actually movies, beginning and the end where they show many scenes wrapped into one place, where people greet and bid adieu.

Which also reminds me to mention and not completely authentic piece of trivia. Heathrow employs 80K people in whole - coming from a friend working there as well. But the figure is just amazing. Heathrow to Mumbai flight was comfortable. 8-9 degrees to 30 degrees. Touched base with the familiar atmosphere in a few minutes.

Thought of socializing with strangers as I had ample time before my next flight home. Requested a rickshaw-driver to share a cup of tea before dropping me to the domestic departure gate, which was a remote one because Reliance flights depart from the same run-way but the gate is into a naval base. Sonu (the rickshaw driver), normal charming smiling khakhi clad guy, was kind enough to take me to his favorite tea-stall. We shared a delightful cutting and interesting discussions. He was a bachelor from Gwalior, been in Mumbai since 7-8 years, supporting his nephew who studied there. Our discussions ranged extremes from Raj Thackeray's Marathi Manoos campaign to Philosophy of money not being everything.

He dropped me to the Kalina Gate, which was a very secluded area to my surprise. All that was there, were odd looking restaurants. As there was no waiting area, I decided to have an extended lunch at one of the nicely named restarants - "Swagat" (Welcome). As it co-incided with just the way I felt, around people who talked in local lingo. Even though its Hindi, I couldn't help but notice how different the Mumbaiyyya Hindi is. Every time you are in Mumbai, it grips you. The sheer pace at which the city works is amazing. Spending two hours at the restaurant relishing Chicken Biriyani was knowledgeable experience as well. The restaurant owner was complaining about local authorities watering the trees in the circle opposite his restaurant, only when some VIP is about to visit. I saw hoardings of the President being welcomed and guessed there had been a recent visit from her. While I was sipping away my Sprite, folks back home were worrying about me as my mobile hadn't caught the local carrier as yet.

The person who checked us in for the private flight, kindly lend me his phone to contact people back home. I was feeling uncomfortable with the amount of food that I had, hence was strolling in, caught up with a group of security guards there. One was behind a quadrand, aiming his automatic machine gun towards the gate. Three mid-forty ex-army guys discussing the current state of affairs. Its just amazing where people link their personal philosophies to things around them. Whether its just human, or the culture hardwired into all Indian brains, God only knows. Another knowledgable discussion, more or less a spectator there but participated with whatever I could. Socializing is great and I feel connected to strangers through it.

The flight from Mumbai to Jamnagar was great as well, another vegetarian snacks served aboard a 18 seater private jet made me feel special. Dad was picking me up from Jamnagar giving me his "Welcome Home Kid" smile. All in the family are at home. Lots of interesting discussions, well-wishers and relatives calling in to welcome, personal though. Amazing family dinner around the table, and plans of going to Dhrafa (my native) tomorrow. All exciting.

Jet lag not letting me sleep I believe, hence this blog.

Satisfying.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hae bro, enjoying ur trip back home.. Gr8.... Many congratulations on ur wedding.. God bless u guys.. and please let me know ur mobile.. will call u.